DB West Vancouver
Jun 06.13 Posted in Deals
Regular $2699, now $2295
For a limited time only
Take 15% Off Your wilier Izoard Purchase
Offer valid until June 30th
Quick, head over to DB West Vancouver and take advantage of this limited time offer. The Izoard is Wiliers' race-ready, comfort bike that won an Outside Magazine Gear of the Year award back in 2009. It has withstood the test of time and continues to evolve. The XP version (introduced in 2012) that we have on offer is full carbon, Shimano Ultegra equipped and is the colour scheme pictured below.
"One of the nicest things about the Izoard is that it looks as good or better than most bikes costing twice as much". Wilier Trestina
Jun 05.13 Posted in Commentary, We Ride
We get asked on the regular how much pressure road riders should be putting in their tires.
The easy answer is to follow the guidelines on the side of the tire, which usually provides a maximum and minimum pressure. Some companies, like Michelin, even provide a chart that shows different recommended pressure for different rider weights and tire widths. Generally, these guidelines produce pretty satisfactory results. BUT, if you've never experimented with your tire pressure on the road, and summer propmpts some longer rides for you as it does with me, now's a great time to try a little trial and error. You'll be surprised how much of a difference 5-10 psi can make.
Tire pressure in the pro peleton gets pointed attention during two particular times: rainy mountain stages and cobbled classics. Neither of these two have much to do with us mere mortals, but the conditions riders face have a lot to do with what tire pressure they run. Below are highlights from an article published by VeloNews before the start of this years Paris-Roubaix, a notorious rim and tire killer.
As you can see, the pressures range from the low 70s to the high 80s, and I suspect many of the teams overestimated tire pressure to keep team secrets. Not only this, but the vast majority of these tires (excluding the Continentals which had the lowest reported pressures) have latex inners, and will seep 5-8 psi over the 6 hour parcourse.
Now, most of us are not riding 27/28mm tires during road season, and though 25mm is becoming more and more popular, the 23mm road tire still dominates the tire choices we see in the shop. The wheels on my road bike right now are pretty standard setup: 23mm Challenge Criterium clinchers on Open Pro rims make for a true 23mm width. With these, I'm usually in the 90 psi range in the rear, and 80-85 in the front. On my winter bike, which has 25-28c tires on wider rims, I am often down into the 60s pressure wise, particularly in the rain. For reference, I am a little under 150 pounds and generally light on wheels.
I find with 100+ psi in my tires, the bike feels a little chattery, more skittish, and doesn't ride as comfrotably. When I was young and foolish I thought this meant speed, and on a perfectly smooth road or the track this would be true. But there are few perfectly smooth roads around here.
I encourage you to experiment with tire pressure.
Many people seem hesitant to drop their pressure beneath the "normal" 100 psi. If you are a heavy rider, this can make sense. But if you weigh 120 pounds, that kind of pressure is probably unecessary, and could be slowing you down. Take the time, next time you ride, to drop 5 or 10 psi from your normal riding pressure and see how it feels. Leave the front 5-10 psi lower than the rear. If you don't notice a difference, drop it a little more. Find a pressure where you don't feel like you will pinch flat or fold a tire over in a corner, but one that still give your bike a bit of float, smoothing out the ride and delivering confidence in corners rather that rattling along. It could change your bike's ride quality drastically.
May 15.13 Posted in Gear
As the season ramps up, who DOESN'T want to look good! We have a great selection of jerseys for you here at DB West Vancouver. Check out just some of what we have on offer:
Assos Corporate $209
Assos Ellisse $199
Assos SS Lady $199
Nalini Bao $120
Nalini Linum $140
Solo Moretti $125
Solo Velux $125
- May 2013
- May 10.13 - 2013 Rotary Ride for Rescue
- May 07.13 - Race Report - Glotman Simpson
- April 2013
- Apr 18.13 - Wilier Triestina Cento1SR
- Apr 12.13 - Quality is Timeless
- Apr 08.13 - I Like. Big. Tires.
- Apr 04.13 - Tech Tip: Bar Tape
- Apr 02.13 - Then and Now
- March 2013
- Mar 26.13 - Road Season: On!
- Mar 05.13 - Are You There Tullio? It’s Me, John
- February 2013
- Feb 17.13 - On the Horizon: Spring
- Feb 13.13 - February Featured Bicycle Commuter: Mike P.
- Feb 11.13 - A Question and an Answer
- January 2013
- Jan 31.13 - January Featured Bicycle Commuter: David L.
- Jan 28.13 - Taking the show on the road
- Jan 22.13 - Wilier Ways
- Jan 19.13 - Bikes on the Brain
- Jan 15.13 - On “The Armstrong Affair”
- Jan 14.13 - How To Wax XC Skis
- Jan 11.13 - 5 Reasons to Take Up Nordic Skiing!
- Jan 09.13 - Cycling Immersion
- Jan 08.13 - Salomon Demo Day
- December 2012
- Dec 20.12 - How Many is Enough?
- Dec 17.12 - Ski Nights at Cypress
- Dec 17.12 - Tour of Alberta!
- Dec 10.12 - Profile: Adam Trotter - Service Manager
- Dec 06.12 - Brake Pad Review: BBB TechStop High Performance Pads
- Dec 02.12 - Commuting by Bicycle Volume 1: Chapter 4: Hands
- November 2012
- Nov 19.12 - Ski Wax Card
- Nov 13.12 - XC Ski Package Deals
- October 2012
- Oct 30.12 - Ski Time Again
- Oct 19.12 - Izoard Fork Recall
- Oct 15.12 - Commuting By Bicycle Volume 1, Chapter 3: Aridity and Warmth
- Oct 05.12 - Ski Callaghan Returns
- Oct 04.12 - Commuting by Bicycle Volume 1, Chapter 2: Illumination
- Oct 01.12 - Commuting by Bicycle Volume 1, Chapter 1: Maintaining Aridity
- July 2012
- Jul 26.12 - Up The Creek On The Sunshine Coast
- Jul 23.12 - PINAYELLOW
- Jul 20.12 - 2013 LOOK Bikes On Display Now
- Jul 10.12 - Wilier Izoard XP
- June 2012
- Jun 14.12 - Shimano Custom Fit Shoes
- Jun 02.12 - New Arrival - Pinarello ROKH
- May 2012
- May 15.12 - Win A Tour De Victoria Entry
- April 2012
- Apr 16.12 - Assos Spring Collection
- March 2012
- Mar 13.12 - Nordic Fondo Slideshow
- Mar 13.12 - Pinarello On The Podium
- Mar 05.12 - LOOK: Attention To Detail
- February 2012
- Feb 20.12 - Nordic Fondo Mar 10
- Feb 16.12 - SKI SALE! ATOMIC * SALOMON * - SKATE AND CLASSIC
- Feb 10.12 - 2012 Pinarello Coming Soon!
- January 2012
- Jan 12.12 - KIDS SKI SALE!
- Jan 05.12 - Commuting Year-Round
- Jan 03.12 - Jan 14 - Salomon Demo Day
- December 2011
- Dec 16.11 - Cypress XC Ski Video
- Dec 13.11 - Cypress Pass = Savings at DB
- Dec 05.11 - Different Bikes SKI night!
- November 2011
- Nov 25.11 - Free Ski Waxing Clinic!
- Nov 18.11 - JUST ARRIVED - ASSOS FALL CYCLING GEAR !!
- Nov 07.11 - XC Skis are BACK!
- October 2011
- Oct 06.11 - Post Fondo - What’s Next?
- September 2011
- Sep 15.11 - We’re Hiring - Service Manager
- Sep 09.11 - The Whistler GranFondo is HERE!
- August 2011
- Aug 24.11 - Group Riding - The Basics
- Aug 23.11 - GETTING YOUR BIKE FONDO READY!
- Aug 18.11 - GranFondo Training Routes
- Aug 16.11 - Wilier Cento Uno
- Aug 15.11 - “It’s not about the bike” - Lance Armstrong
- Aug 12.11 - Look 586 SL E-Post
- Aug 11.11 - The GranFondo Phenomena
- Aug 08.11 - John’s Bike Review: 2011 Ridley X-Bow
- Aug 02.11 - Cypress Challenge - August 20th
- July 2011
- Jul 11.11 - John’s Journey: Cycle for Life
- June 2011
- Jun 16.11 - Giant TCR Advanced SL Rabo Deal
- Jun 10.11 - Latest DB West Van Deals
- Jun 02.11 - West Vancouver Community Day
- May 2011
- May 21.11 - Tuesday Evening Group Rides!
- May 15.11 - New Bike Arrivals - Road, Hybrid, Mountain
- April 2011
- Apr 13.11 - TEN WEEKS TO THE TEST - XC RACING CLINIC
- March 2011
- Mar 16.11 - Pinarello has arrived at DB West Van!
- Mar 06.11 - 2011 Wilier Bikes in stock - Italian beauty
- February 2011
- Feb 23.11 - SALOMON & ATOMIC DEMO DAY THIS SUNDAY!
- Feb 20.11 - SKI SALE!!!!
- Feb 07.11 - New road bikes arriving - Look, Ridley, Giant, Wilier and more
- January 2011
- Jan 24.11 - ATOMIC DEMO DAY - JANUARY 29!
- Jan 18.11 - POWERTAP !
- December 2010
- Dec 26.10 - BOXING WEEK BLOW OUTS!
- Dec 06.10 - HOLIDAY HOURS
- November 2010
- Nov 27.10 - 2011 Wilier preview
- Nov 27.10 - 2011 Giant Preview
- Nov 13.10 - XC Ski Packages now available…. Get out there with a great deal!
- October 2010
- Oct 06.10 - Fall Outdoor Fashion Blog - Great Tips
- September 2010
- Sep 07.10 - 2011 Rocky Mountain Bikes preview
- Sep 07.10 - 2011 Ridley highlights
- Sep 01.10 - From Fromme #3…. Halfway there
- August 2010
- Aug 26.10 - Incredible Custom Passoni Road Bike
- Aug 16.10 - From Fromme: Week #2, Norco Demos, and Crankworx!
- Aug 07.10 - From Fromme: Week #1
- July 2010
- Jul 28.10 - From Fromme: A New Late Season Goal
- Jul 11.10 - Share the wealth
- June 2010
- Jun 28.10 - BC Bike Parks are all open…. Need a new ride and a tease for what’s out there?
- May 2010
- May 05.10 - DEALS!!!! Remaining ‘09 Road and All Mountain Bikes
- April 2010
- Apr 30.10 - Race Face and Rocky Deals at West Van
- Apr 23.10 - New RMB Element sneek peak
- Apr 16.10 - 2010 RMB Altitude 70 19” Demo Bike Available
- March 2010
- Mar 26.10 - We’re in a new location!
- February 2010
- Feb 03.10 - 2010 Kona Cadabra and Abracadabra in stock
- December 2009
- Dec 28.09 - Jump on Spring
- Dec 28.09 - Suspension Support