DB North Vancouver
Dec 05.13 Posted in Gear, New Arrivals
Can't think of what to get for the Cyclist on your list?
Here are a few options:
Race Face Team Chute Jacket (Mens), $220
You can't go wrong with this jacket! With an attached hood, adjustable waist, high collar and underarm zipper vents, it has a water-proof breathable membrane backed by lightweight mesh. Fully seam sealed to keep water out.
Sugoi RS Event Jacket (Women's) $230
The ultimate in breathability performance, this jacket comes in handy no matter the activity. With waterproof taped seams, a back zip pocket, welded interior chest zip pocket and a microfleece lined collar and adjustable cuffs, you're set.
Sugoi Firewall 220 Tights (Women's), $140
This tights feature Sugoi's MidZero material on the back for thermal warmth and stretch and Firewall 220 fabric on the front for powerful wind protection and stretch mobility. They also have 9 inch locking ankle zippers, one bonded reflective back zip pocket and stretch drawstring with a moisture wicking jacquard elastic waistband.
Sugoi RPM Pants (Men's), $95
Great winter riding pants with a stretch woven waterproof shell and hook and loop cuff closures for an adjustable fit to prevent material getting snagged in the drivetrain.
Sugoi Wallaroo 170 L/S (Men's & Women's), $90
Everyone needs that wool baselayer for ultra warmth and protection during winter workouts!
Chrome Merino Pasha Hoodie (Women's), $232
Chrome's stylish merino urban cycling hoodie. Performance and utility for the bike in something that you can wear all day.
Chrome's Cobra Merino Hoodie (Men's), $232
Chrome's stylish merino urban cycling hoodie. Performance and utility for the bike in something that you can wear all day.
Gore UNIVERSAL GORE-TEX® Socks, $60
These socks are GUARANTEED TO KEEP YOU DRY®! 'Nuff said.
MTB Supercrew Compression - Nano + Cu Dissent Socks, $25
Unique compression socks designed for MTB shoes and long riding days.
Genuflex Compression Full Protect, $34
Knee high compression socks
Chrome T-Shirts, different design options (a few pictured below) $37
A great stocking stuffer!
Skis, boots, bindings & Poles
These are our pre-packaged deals. We have a wide selection of skis & boots in addition to cross country ski APPAREL!
If you want a different mix or would like a PRO/Race package, please come into the store and we would be more than happy to put something together for you!
Regular $530, Sale $395
- Ski: Salomon Elite 6 Grip or Atomic Pro Classic
- Boot: Salomon Escape 7 Pilot CF
- Binding: Salomon Pilot Sport Classic
- Pole: Salomon Equipe 20 Carbon
Regular $645, Sale $485
- Ski: Salomon Equipe 7 Classic
- Boot: Salomon Active 9 Classic Pilot
- Binding: SNS Propulse RC2
- Pole: Salomon Equipe 20 Carbon
Regular $650, Sale $490
- Ski: Salomon Equipe 7 Skate
- Boot: Salomon Active 8 Skate
- Binding: Salomon SNS Pilot Sport Skate
- Pole: Salomon Equipe 20 Carbon
Regular $1060, Sale $795
Nov 07.13 Posted in Commentary
You can see it now...that glorious snow line high up on the local mountains. We are so lucky to have so many great options for winter sports in the Lower Mainland, one of which is Nordic Skiing.
Just a quick drive away and you are up Cypress and further out you have Callahan. Cypress has the advantage of being so close in proximity, but many make the extra effort to venture further to Callahan to enjoy the large network of trails and great facilities. Some days, you can find yourself on a trail at Callahan and not run into anyone else. It's gorgeous up there!
Cypress has a reputation of being extremely hilly but it's really not that bad. The only major hill is the one that gets you to the upper trails. Right from the start there is one slight hill, more like a false flat, that gets you to the lodge but it's a great warm up! The lower trails are great for some quick loops and a stop or two in the lodge (especially good if you have little ones). For night skiing, only the lower trails are open so it can get pretty busy, but what a great way to spend the evening!
Now in terms of choosing classic or skate...it's really up to what you are looking for and what your experience is. On the one hand, classic is easier to pick up right off the bat because essentially, it's just like walking. However, it is almost harder than skate if you really want to perfect it. Try walking up a hill with skis on vs. skating. It is much harder to get forward momentum walking than it is skating because gravity wants to pull you backwards. This is why many people on classic skis end up duck-walking up hills. There is definitely a certain technique that requires some training/practice IF you want to take it to that level. Of course, you don't have to. That's the beauty of it.
With classic, you have the option of taking it (relatively) easy. Whereas with skate, you have to commit a certain amount of physical effort (and co-ordination!) in order to get anywhere (again skating vs. walking). That said, if you decide to skate and you are willing to put the time in to learn the proper technique (there will be a learning curve), you will be hooked. Skating is fast, fun and a great workout!
If you have never ice skated before, you will definitely want to take some skate ski lessons. Even if you have ice skated before and likely have the basics down, taking a lesson or two is still in your best interest. If you don't have the proper technique, the harder your body has to work and the more likely you are to sustain injuries. Not to mention, bad habits are hard to break, so if you develop them early on they will be harder to fix down the road.
Of course, if skiing is totally new to you (you have never done alpine or nordic), you may be more concerned about the downhill sections of the trails than you are of the flats and uphills! Don't worry, that will come with practice and many, many hours of snow plowing!
Seriously though, if you are just toying with the idea of getting into nordic skiing, we say GO FOR IT! You won't know what you are missing until you try it. If you are worried about the up front cost of buying gear and then not enjoying yourself, you can try renting it first. Both Cypress and Callahan have nordic rentals.
As for cost, skate will typically run you more than classic but it depends on whether you are going for beginner, intermediate or advanced.
The other thing to consider when it comes to nordic skiing is the wax. Waxing is a whole topic unto itself but we are fortunate that the temperature usually stays in the same range throughout the winter so we don't have to change wax as often as other variable climates. Hard core skiers love to spend time in the waxing hut hot waxing their skis, but for the rest of the crowd, Different Bikes offers hot waxing services so you don't have to worry about it! Also, these days there are some great glide wax options for both skate and classic. It's worth mentioning that despite the name waxless skis, these skis still require wax (for optimal performance and care).
Whatever kind of Nordic skiing you choose to do, take it at your own pace and have fun! Relish in the beauty of the outdoors and breath in that fresh, winter air. That alone will do wonders for your health and well being! Enjoy!
- October 2013
- Oct 17.13 - Nordic Gear is HERE
- August 2013
- Aug 15.13 - Pedals to “Bling Your Bike” with
- Aug 10.13 - Niner SIR 9
- Aug 06.13 - RMB 2014 Altitude in Store Now
- July 2013
- Jul 30.13 - NEW Ibis Mojo HDR 650b
- Jul 18.13 - New Niner RIP 9s
- Jul 10.13 - New Arrivals: POC, Chrome, Thomson
- June 2013
- Jun 25.13 - Muddbunnies Ladies Night!
- Jun 18.13 - NS Ride Maintenance Clinic
- Jun 14.13 - Demo Knolly & Take $$ Off Your Purchase
- May 2013
- May 29.13 - Knolly Demo Day June 15
- May 23.13 - Bell Super Helmet
- May 22.13 - Need a Mountain Bike While Yours is in the Shop This Season?
- May 21.13 - Bike To Work Week
- May 12.13 - Different Bikes / NS Ride Empress Trail Day
- May 07.13 - Intense Uzzi
- April 2013
- Apr 29.13 - May Roadside Repair Clinic
- Apr 18.13 - Apr. Roadside Repair Clinic
- Apr 09.13 - Thanks for Joining Us!
- March 2013
- Mar 30.13 - April 6th Grand Opening
- Mar 27.13 - Roadside Repair Clinic
- Mar 22.13 - Mechanic Needed NVan
- Mar 19.13 - Protective Gear Hitting the Floor Now!!
- Mar 14.13 - Rocky Mountain Demo Day - Saturday March 23rd
- Mar 13.13 - Free Roadside Repair Clinic
- February 2013
- Feb 22.13 - XC Ski Sale
- Feb 12.13 - New Brands: Opus & BMC
- January 2013
- Jan 25.13 - 2013 MTB Demos
- Jan 22.13 - Altitude 750 Demo
- Jan 10.13 - Vega Nutrition New to Different Bikes North Van - Nutrition Lecture Wed Jan 30th 6:30pm!!!
- December 2012
- Dec 12.12 - N Van’s Newest Bike Shop
- October 2012
- Oct 26.12 - N Van Store is Moving
- Oct 23.12 - Stolen Bikes Recovered
- Oct 12.12 - MTBR Slayer Review
- Oct 02.12 - New Fall Hours
- September 2012
- Sep 20.12 - New Dream Bike
- August 2012
- Aug 24.12 - Complete Niner Packages
- July 2012
- Jul 31.12 - New Shimano Saint Brakes
- Jul 23.12 - We’ve Got The Urge (Helmets)
- Jul 19.12 - 2013 Kona Jake (disc) and Jake the Snake Just arrived!!
- June 2012
- Jun 25.12 - Steel Is Real
- Jun 16.12 - Knolly Chilcotins Have Arrived In North Vancouver!!
- Jun 13.12 - New Blackspire Bling!!
- Jun 11.12 - Fox D.O.S.S Adjustable Seatpost
- May 2012
- May 31.12 - Fox D.O.S.S seat posts now in stock!!
- May 12.12 - Chili Con Carr-ne
- May 05.12 - Giant All Mountain Value!
- April 2012
- Apr 30.12 - RaceFace AMBUSH D3O!
- Apr 30.12 - BlackSpire Re-Stock
- Apr 28.12 - This Weekend Only - 2011 Kona 2+2: $1798
- Apr 25.12 - Loads Of Dakine
- Apr 25.12 - 18-Pound Niner MTB
- Apr 25.12 - Gorgeous Update…
- Apr 20.12 - GORGEOUS #2
- Apr 19.12 - Raw Chili
- Apr 17.12 - GORGEOUS!
- Apr 11.12 - Like A FOX!
- Apr 08.12 - That’s INTENSE!
- Apr 01.12 - Dual Suspension Clear Out!
- March 2012
- Mar 28.12 - Rocky Reminder: March 31st!
- Mar 20.12 - POC in Stock!
- Mar 20.12 - Public Service Announcement #3
- Mar 17.12 - 2012 Giant Reign 1 - You be the judge
- Mar 14.12 - DEMO A ROCKY! March 31st
- Mar 14.12 - Bring out the GIMP!
- Mar 12.12 - RENT a SLAYER!
- Mar 06.12 - RENT ME!
- Mar 05.12 - STAN’S!
- Mar 04.12 - Public Service Announcement #2
- Mar 01.12 - 2012 Intense Tracer 2
- February 2012
- Feb 29.12 - Gore for Spring
- Feb 29.12 - Big Unit
- Feb 28.12 - Bring your Entourage…
- Feb 28.12 - Suntour (XTR+ Style) Rear Derailleur
- Feb 27.12 - *SCARS*
- Feb 27.12 - Intense M9
- Feb 20.12 - Fork Your 26’er
- Feb 18.12 - Get your Mojo in HD!
- Feb 16.12 - Hans & Lucy & BEER!
- Feb 15.12 - Sore Back!: New Pack?: Camelbak LR!
- Feb 14.12 - Fork your 29’er!
- Feb 12.12 - Public Service Announcement:
- Feb 11.12 - Bridle Path… Spring is coming…
- Feb 07.12 - Intense: CARBINE
- Feb 06.12 - Giant Reign 0 : 2012
- January 2012
- Jan 26.12 - Element 970 -> 29’er
- Jan 23.12 - Energizing, Aesthetic, Economical?!: Rocky Mountain Element 50
- Jan 19.12 - World Cup Flatline
- Jan 16.12 - HEX
- Jan 10.12 - Got Reverb?
- Jan 04.12 - Need an EDGE?
- December 2011
- Dec 29.11 - Chariot Transport Sytems!
- Dec 29.11 - RaceFace Sale!!!
- Dec 24.11 - Boxing Day Additions!!!
- Dec 22.11 - Boxing Day Additions!
- Dec 21.11 - Two Hours of Boxing Day!!!
- Dec 21.11 - DB supports the RTCC!
- Dec 15.11 - Hans Dampf: The -NEW- Schwalbe 29’er Tire
- Dec 14.11 - Prototype RaceFace Bar
- Dec 11.11 - RaceFace Christmas -Clothing- Sale!
- Dec 08.11 - Limited Edition: RaceFace Seat Covers
- Dec 08.11 - PRE!
- Dec 07.11 - Anthem-X 29’er
- Dec 06.11 - The Gift… of RaceFace
- Dec 05.11 - Hey, Muc-Off!
- Dec 04.11 - Service Your Bike Please: A Christmas Carol
- November 2011
- Nov 30.11 - -Enlightenment-
- Nov 28.11 - The -Bleeding- Edge
- Nov 23.11 - POWER!
- Nov 22.11 - Look Familiar?
- Nov 20.11 - A $900 All Mountain Bike
- Nov 18.11 - Chromag Surface 29’er
- Nov 18.11 - Need Some Fenders?
- Nov 17.11 - Extreme, Exhilarating and Sexy!
- Nov 16.11 - Obnoxiously Bright? Safety First!
- Nov 14.11 - For Your Eyes Only…
- Nov 07.11 - SLAYER!
- Nov 07.11 - A (small) Giant Update
- October 2011
- Oct 30.11 - 2011: A Giant Reign of Glory!
- Oct 25.11 - RaceFace RE-STOCKED
- Oct 19.11 - Get Geared up for Fall!
- Oct 18.11 - KNOLLY CHILCOTIN: PreOrder
- Oct 13.11 - RTCC Reunion Ride This Sunday
- Oct 09.11 - Because DRY FEET Make You Happy!
- Oct 03.11 - New-To-NVan: M162 Shimano Shoes
- September 2011
- Sep 26.11 - Signs from a great ride…
- Sep 23.11 - We Ride: It’s Modular Clothing Season!
- Sep 20.11 - Shimano Braking Innovation. For Everyone.
- Sep 20.11 - New to North Van: NiteRider MiNewt Pro 750
- Sep 18.11 - Gore Rain Wear: Off-Road or On, there is No Bad Weather; Just Bad Gear
- Sep 15.11 - New to North Van: NiteRider PRO 1500 Lightsets!
- Sep 14.11 - Ride To Conquer Cancer Orientation
- Sep 11.11 - Different Deals: Select Giro & Specialized HELMETS discount 20%-30%
- Sep 03.11 - New to North Van: POC Restock!
- August 2011
- Aug 25.11 - New to North Van: THE MOTHER OF ALL FLOOR PUMPS!
- Aug 23.11 - Giant Seek is one cool looking bike!
- Aug 12.11 - Happy Bike Winner
- Aug 08.11 - Local legend retiring from DB and bicycle retail.
- Aug 02.11 - IBIS MOJO HD 19”
- Aug 02.11 - Full Suspension Bikes on Sale
- July 2011
- Jul 18.11 - Mark Woods Brings Us a “Tale of Test Eagles in New Zealand”
- Jul 18.11 - Giro-KidSport Burnaby Raffle Winners
- Jul 04.11 - Giro Di Burnaby - July 14
- June 2011
- Jun 18.11 - More DB North Van Deals!
- Jun 09.11 - Latest Burnaby Deals
- Jun 02.11 - DB North Van Deals
- Jun 02.11 - Burnaby Heights Hats Off Day
- May 2011
- May 30.11 - Bike To Work Week
- May 30.11 - Visit us at the North Shore Bikefest this weekend!
- May 25.11 - DB supports MOMAR 2011
- May 20.11 - Demo a Norco Range Today!
- May 18.11 - Rocky Mountain Demo XC Ride May 26
- May 16.11 - Stay Active with the whole Family!
- May 09.11 - Cancelled: Rocky Mountain Shuttle Night - May 11
- May 02.11 - New arrivals at DB North Van
- May 02.11 - Latest North Vancouver Deals
- May 02.11 - Knolly Delirium Special!
- April 2011
- Apr 24.11 - Ibis Mojo HD - How’s it ride?
- Apr 24.11 - POC Armour Now in!
- Apr 23.11 - Apr 23 RMB Demo Day in North Vancouver
- Apr 19.11 - Urge Helmets - We have ‘em
- Apr 16.11 - 2.6 Ardent 3Cs DH $30!
- Apr 14.11 - Here’s the IBIS proof!
- Apr 12.11 - They have arrived - Ibis Cycles
- Apr 11.11 - Next Rocky Mountain Bikes Demo Day Apr 23
- March 2011
- Mar 26.11 - Wade Simmons Rocky Mountain Demo Day April 2
- Mar 23.11 - We got a new guy!
- Mar 19.11 - Rocky Mountain Demo Days coming April 2nd
- Mar 14.11 - Dakine Pick Up Pads!
- Mar 12.11 - Chromag Moon Saddles In Stock
- February 2011
- Feb 28.11 - Giant Trance part 2
- Feb 22.11 - Knolly Delirium. It’ll make you smile!
- Feb 19.11 - Element 70 MSL In Stock!
- Feb 14.11 - 2011 Rocky Mountain Slayer 70 - Does it all!
- Feb 14.11 - Pink Pedals for the Ladies!
- Feb 08.11 - Giant Trance X Advanced - Custom
- Feb 05.11 - Rock Shox Reverb Seatpost - Ride Review
- January 2011
- Jan 31.11 - More locking advice!
- Jan 31.11 - Blackspire Sub 4 Pedals
- Jan 24.11 - Knolly Chilcotin
- Jan 23.11 - Sunshine Coast - Such a playground!
- Jan 18.11 - Giant TCX 2
- Jan 12.11 - Nite Rider - Don’t give in to the dark side!
- Jan 07.11 - New Kona Operator FR and 2+2
- Jan 06.11 - 2011 Blackspire Das Stems in stock!
- Jan 06.11 - Big Wheel Bargain!
- December 2010
- Dec 23.10 - Slayer 50 - Does it get any better?
- Dec 12.10 - “Look ma’, it’s a Giant!”
- Dec 10.10 - Rock Shox Reverb Posts In Store! Just in time for Christmas!
- Dec 04.10 - Giant Trance - Custom Build
- November 2010
- Nov 29.10 - 2011 Giant Faith - The Green Machine!
- Nov 18.10 - Now Stocking: Maxxis Minion EXO 3C, NSX 10 “The Last Digg”
- Nov 02.10 - 2011 Norco Range 1,2 and 3 IN STOCK
- Nov 02.10 - Norco Range 3 - They have arrived!
- Nov 01.10 - When the Going gets Dark…...
- October 2010
- Oct 30.10 - North Van Bike Specials
- September 2010
- Sep 21.10 - Choosing the Appropriate Cycling Gear for Fall and Winter
- Sep 20.10 - New Knolly - the Chilcotin
- Sep 14.10 - Riding in Burnaby and Vancouver? Know the Laws!
- Sep 13.10 - Get Your Sweat On! Use an Indoor Trainer!
- Sep 08.10 - Explore Your City By Bike Burnaby
- Sep 07.10 - Blooming Entry: BLOOMING WINNER!
- Sep 01.10 - Blooming Entry: The Summit & That’s All Folks!
- August 2010
- Aug 28.10 - Riding through September? October? November? Get your bike serviced!
- Aug 20.10 - New-to-NV: 2011 Fox 40 RC2 w/ KASHIMA!
- Aug 11.10 - Blooming Entry: Another look at Keystone / Cunning Stunts on the SSC
- Aug 10.10 - Blooming Entry: Shredding, Airtime, Roost, Aggro, Flowers
- Aug 07.10 - We Ride: Troy Lee ODI-Lock-On Grips
- Aug 07.10 - Blooming Entry: Norona Life
- July 2010
- Jul 28.10 - Blooming Entry: Between Rides
- Jul 24.10 - New-To-NV: 2010 Norco Shore 1 Demo: $3199 (medium)
- Jul 17.10 - New-To-NV: Rocky Mountain Specials 2010 Altitude & Altitude 2-9
- Jul 13.10 - Blooming Entry: Altitude in Princeton, 2nd Edition
- Jul 12.10 - Blooming Entry: Something by Drew
- Jul 10.10 - Blooming Entry: Muni-Ferns
- Jul 08.10 - Blooming Entry: Terrace Mountain
- Jul 07.10 - dbNV: HACKSAW and SAVE SALE!
- Jul 01.10 - Blooming Entry: Shiver on Timbers
- June 2010
- Jun 29.10 - Blooming Entry: Maya Rips Sun Valley
- Jun 26.10 - Blooming Entry: Moody Norcos
- Jun 25.10 - Blooming Entry: Something Different then Flowers
- Jun 24.10 - Blooming Entry: Exotic Coquiltam, BC
- Jun 22.10 - Blooming Entry: Keystone Standard / Revelstoke
- Jun 19.10 - New-to-NV: BlackSpire / Intense / SportsBalm
- Jun 17.10 - Blooming Entry: A flying summer at Warner Lake
- Jun 08.10 - Blooming Entry: Blooming Competition
- Jun 05.10 - Smile; It’s the WEEKEND!
- Jun 03.10 - We Ride: Jeff’s Knolly Endorphin
- Jun 01.10 - Blooming Entry: Spring Flowers!
- May 2010
- May 26.10 - Your Hydration Pack: Everything & The Kitchen Sink?
- May 22.10 - Re. May-vember and June-uary on the North Shore
- May 15.10 - Intense 951: size large and loaded for 6K
- May 14.10 - Sticks and Stones
- May 07.10 - New-to-NV: RaceFace Flank D30 Knee/Shin Pads
- May 01.10 - Two Thousand & TEN Slayer SXC 30 Deal
- April 2010
- Apr 28.10 - Knolly Podium DH : $6800 Complete
- Apr 22.10 - North Shore Billet: Fox Fork Cable Hangers
- Apr 18.10 - Different Bikes Burnaby is Busier Than Ever!
- Apr 15.10 - RaceFace Product: SixC, Atlas, Next : Bars, Cranks and Stems
- Apr 14.10 - We Ride: Niner One-9 2-9’er SingleSpeed
- March 2010
- Mar 28.10 - Tune-up Time? The season is settling in and the wrenches are turning at dbNV
- Mar 22.10 - 2010 Rocky Mountain Altitude 2-9ers in stock!
- Mar 17.10 - FOX RACING Gloves & Launch Pads : Re-Stocked
- Mar 10.10 - Chariot Trailers Have Arrived!
- Mar 08.10 - 2009 Norco Storm: All About the Entry Level
- Mar 02.10 - SOLD! Demo Sale: 2009 Rocky Mountain Slayer SXC 50 15” SOLD!
- February 2010
- Feb 28.10 - Fresh Framesets: Intense 951 and Niner Rip 9
- Feb 15.10 - Super Sweet $5000.00 KNOLLY ENDORPHIN
- Feb 14.10 - RaceFace Atlas FR Bars: 31.5” / $59.95 (limited quantities)
- Feb 03.10 - Just arrived: 2009 Norco Fluid LT 1 @ Closeout Pricing
- Feb 01.10 - Different Bikes Burnaby Now Open 7 days a week!
- January 2010
- Jan 25.10 - 2009 Norco Fluid LT2: $2099
- Jan 18.10 - 2010 Commuter Bikes: Kona & Norco
- Jan 18.10 - 2010 Rocky Bikes’s in the shop: Flatline, Slayer, Altitude
- Jan 11.10 - Stan’s NoTubes Hubs and Rims
- Jan 02.10 - Specialized Bike Clearout
- Jan 02.10 - Race Face Clothing Clearout
- December 2009
- Dec 19.09 - A Perfect North Shore Morning: 19Dec09
- Dec 18.09 - Holiday Specials: Small Gifts for the Riders on your list.
- Dec 17.09 - New Burnaby Store Open!