General DB Blog
Dec 11.13 Posted in News
Making Christmas Shopping Easy!
Do you know what you want from DB for Christmas this year?
We want to make it easy for your friends and family (especially those unfamiliar with cycling products) to get you the gifts that you want/need and vice versa. Just let us know what you want and we will make note of it in our system under your name.
Call it the DB gift registry.
You can tell everyone that your Christmas List is at DB and they can purchase items or put a deposit down (any amount). You can contact us by coming into the store, via email or phone.
Oct 17.13 Posted in Commentary, Gear
It's time to start thinking NORDIC!
We understand that not everyone rides all winter. We also know that many of you ride AND play in the snow whether it's just for fun or for cross-training. That's why we stock Nordic gear, everything from classic/skate skis and boots to gloves, toques and clothing. Some of our brands include Salomon, Atomic, Smart Wool, Halti and Swix.
Living in the Lower Mainland, we are very fortunate to not only have access to world-class mountain bike trails, great road riding but we also have some awesome Nordic trails. Just a quick drive up to Cypress or a little further out to Callahan and you are in a nordic winter wonderland. Never tried nordic skiing? You must! Enjoy being outside and get a good workout at the same time...just like cycling!
Nordic, especially skate skiing, may seem intimidating, but at the end of the day, it's just you and your skis. You can take it as easy or as hard as you want to and if the concept of skate is too much for you, try classic! Either way, if you like being outdoors in the snow, this is for you. The excercise is just a bonus!
This season most of the gear will be here at our North Vancouver location. DB West Van will have a sample display so you can get an idea of what's available. Of course any of the gear can be transferred to your store of choice if that is more convenient for you.
Sep 15.13 Posted in Commentary, We Ride
We asked you what the best piece of cycling advice was that you have ever recieved and you answered:
- Never EVER wear underwear under your cycling shorts
- get out of your Chamois as soon as your finished your ride
- Relax & Enjoy it
- Look where you want to go not where you are
- gut it out no matter how much it hurts
- Don't touch your brakes!!
- "Shut up legs!" - Jens
- Get out and ride!
- The advice I give to people who are new to cycling and want to buy a bike is to support your local bike shop
- Never look back
- "Harden the f**k up"; Basically don't let the rain or cold keep you from getting out on your bike
- always grease yer threads and/or hydrate or die (old CamelBak slogan)
- Spin faster
- Rubber side down
- Two words: Chamois Butt'r
Here's some tips/advice from DB staff:
- Quack like a duck - keep your arms relaxed while riding (vs locked elbows) by remembering to 'quack like a duck" every now and then, i.e,. flap your elbows up and down loosely to ensure you're not locked and taking all the bumps through your arms
- Faster flow - push through the top of the climbs not just to the top
- Fashion - glasses over helmet straps
- Racing - everyone else is suffering too
- Road racing - always take your turn of pulling through; never stay on the front (unless it's part of your team tactics!)
- Fun - just ride and don't worry about too much advice
- Road racing - Don't hesitate; jump and commit to the attack; if you wait, you may not get another chance!
- Much of the game is mental - if you think you can't do it, you can't, but if you have confidence in yourself...YOU CAN!
- Mountain biking - speed is your friend! Stay off the brakes
- Commit, commit, commit!
- Don't forget about the upwards part of your pedal stroke, especially when climbing; pull up
- At the end of the day, the best advice is to RIDE MORE!
- July 2013
- Jul 16.13 - A Great City Bike
- June 2013
- Jun 14.13 - Bottletop Trail Day Jun. 9
- May 2013
- May 31.13 - Bike to Work Week 2013
- May 11.13 - Living by Instinct
- May 10.13 - Road Riding Safety
- April 2013
- Apr 23.13 - Bicycling 2013 Editor’s Choice
- March 2013
- Mar 30.13 - Tariff Elimination Petition
- Mar 26.13 - Vote on Team Kit
- Mar 24.13 - Meet Mike, DB WVan’s new Co-Manager
- Mar 24.13 - New eStore Clearance Items
- Mar 22.13 - Mechanics Needed
- January 2013
- Jan 16.13 - Careers - Store Manager
- December 2012
- Dec 22.12 - Instinct for Big Wheel Adventure
- Dec 19.12 - UPDATE: Better Bridge
- Dec 10.12 - Two Wheeled Freedom
- September 2012
- Sep 24.12 - Empress TAP Update
- Sep 20.12 - Vancouver’s Best Local Bike Store
- June 2012
- Jun 21.12 - Spawn Cycles
- May 2012
- May 21.12 - Red with ENVE
- May 09.12 - Commuter Challenge Lunch Clinics
- May 07.12 - TAP Trail Day on Empress Bypass
- May 02.12 - TAP Trail Day May 6
- April 2012
- Apr 27.12 - Mudbunnies 2012 Race Team
- Apr 08.12 - Your Next cranks?
- March 2012
- Mar 20.12 - Gearing Up! Ride To Conquer Cancer
- Mar 14.12 - DEMO A ROCKY! March 31st
- Mar 03.12 - A Tale of Two Elements
- February 2012
- Feb 05.12 - DB Rider races the Trans Andes Challenge
- January 2012
- Jan 04.12 - Fond Summer Memories!
- November 2011
- Nov 08.11 - Olympic Bobsledders Ride Too!
- October 2011
- Oct 03.11 - HONZO!!!
- August 2011
- Aug 02.11 - BC Bike Race 2011
- July 2011
- Jul 28.11 - High Cascades 100, Bend OR
- Jul 01.11 - 2011 BC Bike Race Blog and Report
- June 2011
- Jun 27.11 - DB Riders on the “Test of Metal” Mountain Bike Race
- April 2011
- Apr 28.11 - Race the NIMBY Fifty!
- March 2011
- Mar 30.11 - Announcing Partnership with Peak Centre for Human Performance!
- Mar 21.11 - Coming April 2 - More Road for you…
- Mar 08.11 - Support Athletics for Kids - We Do! www.a4k.ca
- February 2011
- Feb 08.11 - Welcome Look Cycles
- Feb 01.11 - Cypress Mountain Nordic - Awesome conditions!
- January 2011
- Jan 07.11 - New 2011 Bikes arriving in all stores!
- December 2010
- Dec 15.10 - 2011 Rocky Mountain Slayer and Element IN STOCK
- Dec 14.10 - Winter Essentials (and good deals!)
- Dec 02.10 - Help win funding for North Shore Trails! Vote online!
- November 2010
- Nov 17.10 - 2011 Giant Bikes Arriving NOW!
- October 2010
- Oct 24.10 - XC Ski Equipment In Stock Now!
- Oct 04.10 - New Knolly Chilcotin and Endorphin SL - in stock
- September 2010
- Sep 13.10 - 2010 Gran Fondo - Amazing!
- August 2010
- Aug 27.10 - 2011 Rocky Mountain Preview - Old is new!
- Aug 25.10 - We Ride - 2011 Norco Range
- July 2010
- Jul 15.10 - 2011 Norco Product Launch!
- Jul 08.10 - We Ride - 2010 Kona Cadabra
- June 2010
- Jun 24.10 - Get Rev El’ Stoked in Revelstoke, July 11th, 2k10
- Jun 22.10 - Race Bear Mountain! (July 3rd-4th 2010)
- Jun 13.10 - Big Events This Weekend…. Get your bike in early for service!
- Jun 06.10 - North Shore Bike Fest!
- May 2010
- May 30.10 - Colin win’s the first ever NIMBY 50 race!
- May 13.10 - Nice New Video
- May 05.10 - FIRST LOOK - 2010 Rocky Mountain-Different Bikes Team Kit
- May 05.10 - UBC Tuesday Night World Championships - have started!
- May 05.10 - Canuck playoff FEVER!
- May 02.10 - RBC Gran Fondo Whistler Special Offer!
- April 2010
- Apr 29.10 - The 1st Annual Princeton Chugger (June 12th)
- Apr 11.10 - New XC Race in Pemberton - NIMBY 50
- Apr 01.10 - We Ride - Titus Carbon X and SRAM XX
- March 2010
- Mar 26.10 - West Van Store MOVED!
- Mar 10.10 - DB Partners with BONDtraining
- February 2010
- Feb 02.10 - We Ride - Knolly, Niner, Kona
- January 2010
- Jan 16.10 - Gore Tool Windstopper jacket
- Jan 04.10 - We’re Hiring!
- Jan 03.10 - Carbon Goodies
- Jan 03.10 - Gore Ride-On sealed derailleur cables
- Jan 02.10 - Vertex 50/70RSL vs. Vertex Team RSL
- Jan 02.10 - Altitude 90 RSL
- Jan 02.10 - The Rabid, Yet Discerning, Consumer
- December 2009
- Dec 21.09 - New Blogs, Where is the Forum?
- Dec 16.09 - XC Ski Demo - Cypress on Dec 19th
- November 2009
- Nov 15.09 - First Ride - 2010 Kona AbraCadabra
- July 2009
- Jul 31.09 - Vélos Différents Blog